Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patrick's Day

Despite the fact that Ireland is closer to Germany than it is to the US, most Germans have not heard of St. Patrick's day and finding any who know why St. Patrick is famous must be close to impossible. I enjoy celebrating my Irish heritage, though the corned beef and cabbage has never been my favorite, and I still don't think they eat that in Ireland. So, in spite of this local lack of Irish appriciation, I decided to bring St. Patrick's day to Germany. This worked quite well as we were already going to a dinner party. The focus of the dinner party was already on a foreign culture, China not Ireland. I put on my kelly green polo shirt disregarding the weather and donned a green necklace. I decided the best and most traditional way to introduce St. Patrick's day was through Guinness, obviously! So I purchased the ingredients for car bombs. On a side note, I was talking to Patrick's sister in the morning so I said Happy St. Patrick's day and she didn't say anything. I went on to tell her if she were here she could join us for Irish car bombs. At this point she began to pay attention, "WHAT - car bombs?!?!?!?!?!?! terrorism?!?!?!?!?!?". Anyway, I introduced the holiday and the drink to 4 Germans yesterday. Our Chinese cooking was preperation intensive so once we finished the chopping we took a break. No one thought the drinking at once was a good idea but they should have believed me when I told them the Baily's would curdle. One slow guy had an almost solid base surronding his shot glass, it was not pretty. Overall, I think the response was decent but nobody wanted seconds. Time to switch back into Chinese mode with Chinese beer and cooking to be done. So much for my induction of a new holiday, but at least I shared a bit of knowledge. Germans do not have enough minor fun holidays.

No comments: