Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Breman v. Barcelona

For the first time, I accompanied Patrick to the sports bar for soccer. Tonight's game featured Breman (Germany) against Barcelona. The background of the game is that Breman was seeded into a bracket in which they were not expected to succeed. Last week they played Chelsea and won against the odds and this week they were playing Barcelona, the defending champion. All Breman needed to do was tie the game in order to knock out Barcelona. If there was a game to see, I decided this was it. Besides, since I decided not to take my German exam I didn't have to wake up tomorrow so I felt I could enjoy the night w/o worrying about getting to bed. To make a long story short, Breman lost 2:0 both goals scored in the first 18 minutes of the game (sorry Ihab). The first goal was scored on a penalty shot. The defense jumped in anticipation of a shor in the air and the offensive player shot right under their legs - ouch! (See photo above) But the bar was packed and aside from the guy in front of me who had no idea of personal space (something Germans occasionaly have a problem with) I enjoyed being there. Before I end this entry I must tell you about the man who scored the first goal for Barcelona., Ronaldinho (see photos). He is actualy from Brazil and plays on their national team. He is also considered one of the best players in soccer today. However, that being said he is the ugliest soccer player I've seen. His face is busted, mostly becasue of his teeth/mouth region. As if that were not enough he has hair as long as mine and equaly as curly. Tonight he was wearing both a black headband and a red scruncci - who wears scrunccies to play soccer...12 year old girls! I'm still trying to determine if he is so well known because of his soccer skills or his ugly mug!

No comments: