Friday, June 08, 2007

London Love Leggings, Explained

Okay so I guess I owe you an explanation for the previous leggings comment. I would just leave it at it’s true but, that will not do justice to the statement. First of all, it must be said that when I first entered London in 2003, I made the statement that it looked as if the 80’s had puked all over the city. Now it’s not just puke but total revival. Seriously, I was in London for 2 days and it was like a time warp onto the set of Growing Pains. I expected leggings but I did not expect the rest of it. I cringed when I saw women wearing tights under shorts with ankle boots! I even caught a glimpse of teased hair in the tube station and Claire’s is full of neon, plastic jewelry. As a child of the 80’s, I’m a supporter of leggings, footless tights, funky jewelry, leg warmers and crazy prints. I even like the wild colors and clearly I can’t say anything bad about big hair. A line needs to be drawn at the shorts/tights/ankle boots combo. I’m convinced that the neon, plastic jewelry hasn’t caught on as Claire’s is not the most fashionable place and Top Shop had a much more respectable selection of funky jewelry. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that shoulder pads and patterned sweaters never return. Some things just need to stay in the past.

No comments: