Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Lunch Countdown

Lunch has become a significant part of my day as a doctorate student. It is the one point when we all drop what we are doing, lock up our offices and walk a couple of blocks to eat and socialize (mostly within the department, sometimes with others). It's also, more often than not, the first food I eat all day. We typically leave between 12:15 and 12:30 to go to lunch and one of our most frequented places is a Pizza/pasta/salad shop called Clarissa. Their pizza is amazingly delicious, cooked by a legit Italian and so cheap, 5.90 will buy you any pizza on the menu and a Coke (light for me). The pasta dishes look nice and cost the same but I'm just not a big pasta friend and while I always tell myself I should try the salad, I've never seen anyone eat one and I'm worried I'll be disapointed since I know how good the pizza is. In 2 weeks, I've eaten there 3 times. I'm not sure where we are going today but it's that time of the afternoon when someone will pop their head in my dorr and say lunch. Right now, I'm having a bit of a craving for a chicken patty with sauce and cheese on a bulky roll from my high school cafeteria...mmmm! There's something so weird about that combo that it took me years to finally try it but once I did I was hooked and am happy to report I stopped by my former high school in May and it's still on the menue and still tastes the same (I had to have one). I guess I haven't anticipated lunch this much since high school.

No comments: