Friday, November 14, 2008

Returning to my (German) home

It is weird to think that in 2 years I have lived in as many German states. I've only ever lived in 2 states in the US in all my 23 years there, and one was a temporary home while working at camp. This weekend, we will drive up to Braunschweig to attend a birthday party and visit friends. Braunschweig is in the center of the country, about 5 hours north of Mannheim but most people from the south of Germany (where I live now) think BS is in northern Germany. Since Patrick comes from a town an hour out of Denmark, it is hard for me to see BS as northern. I have no reference for the western part of the country but I tend to identify much more with northern Germans on traditions and perceptions. If you can drive from the top of RI to the bottom in an hour, you can do Germany top to bottom in about 8, Germany is comprised of 16 states. Everyone in Germany has the RI mentality when it comes to distances and somehow I'm the one convincing people that 3 hours isn't so bad and anything less can easily be done in a day. I digress, the main point I was trying to make is that I am now returning to a place in Germany where I have friends and favorites. This weekend I am hoping to visit several of both. On the favorite front, we will hopefully find time for the lion statue, ice cream and sunday brunch and I am also excited for the mall (which you may remember from posts in 2007 is not so exciting) including the best craft store in all of Germany! A´highlight in the friend category is a new baby who is about 7 months old and I will meet for the first time. I usually hate long drives but today I am beyond excited to get in the car for the 5 hour drive with Patrick and our necessary stop for dinner at McDonald's or a rest stop serving schnitzel mit pommes (there's no eating healthy on the road). It's always nice to go home.

No comments: