Saturday, May 19, 2007

Global

I made it through my first Global Conference. I was the baby so everyone kept asking if I was okay, that made me a bit nervous that I looked like something was wrong. I did feel I was doing okay because my boss took me around for the first day or so after we arrived but by day 3, she let me free. If I wasn’t doing okay, I think she would have kept me by her side. I met a lot of people, some more useful than others. I also got to know the entire staff. There are a couple of points that should be noted about the staff. First of all the entire staff is only about 30 people, including the web designers and representatives of another company we outsource our printed materials from. Looking at the HQ staff, one quickly notes there’s only a single male in the office. There is actually one more male on the team but he is the director of Asia Pacific and thus a contractor who never works out of HQ. In addition, there are a lot of new people. I think this is a mixture of the organization’s growth and the fact that it is a non-profit organization which may hinder salary increases thus attracting recent grads. In addition, people are often hired on short term contracts and only renewed as needed. However, one overwhelming thing I noticed about the staff is that EVERYONE loves their job. I feel that it is too early for me to make a definitive decision, but, so far I also love my job.

No comments: