Wednesday, July 03, 2013

July 3rd - a Retrospective

Last night I realized that it was about to be July 3rd and became nostalgic about Independence Day at home.  Because the 4th (and 3rd) of July are just normal days in Europe. In fact, they aren't even summer days this year. I guess I should elaborate a bit on why I celebrate the 3rd. It's simple really, that is when my city had a hge fireworks display following the annual home game of the AAA baseball team. Literally everyone went to watch the fireworks. Growing up July 3rd always included a cookout with the most extended family possible at my Great Aunt's house from where you could watch the fireworks or walk a few blocks for a front row seat. Sometimes it was the only time of the year I saw my second cousins and it was ALWAYS a really fun day/night party. I hardly ever went to the baseball game because, as the locals know, the view is inhibited by the stadium roof. But the music in the stadium makes the show that much ore magical. By the time my grandma's sister became too old to host the party, I really didn't know what to do with myself, it just wasn't the same but it was not a problem for long because I was in college then I moved to Germany where 3rd of July Fireworks were hard to come by although I did find them once!

Today, as I walked home from my German lesson in the rain without an umbrella, i once again remembered it was the eve of the 4th of July. My thoughts wandered to this day in 2009 when we were in Japan. I looked at my phone to check the time I realized we would have been on our way up Mt. Fuji. That was the wettest, coldest night I have yet to experience in my life. Despite the misery of the overnight climb, getting completely ripped off in a mountain lodge, waking up at 4am to learn we would not even see a sunrise due to fog and then having to put our wet jeans back on to climb back down the mountain, it was a great memory. In 2010, I spent July 3rd at the wedding of a close college friend who I sadly don't talk to as much as I would like anymore but it was also a great day/night/next day. In 2011, I was in Las Vegas, having just split off from a road trip with one of my oldest friends and his now wife. In 2012, I was most likely working but I kind of draw a blank on that one. Now in 2013 I'm having a normal day completely soaked from the not so summery rain. I sit in my apartment in Basel awaiting the arrival of my husband with a dinner plan and realize that every July 3rd won't be amazing but I have some nice memories. I cherish them and hope to make many more.

No comments: