Wednesday, March 19, 2008

oh what a night

It's been 2 years since Patrick and I first "met" on our Spring Break trip to FL so he took me out to celebrate yesterday. We had origionally planned to celebrate on Friday but that didn't work out and then I needed to fly on Sunday which put me in Amsterdam through Monday so Tuesday became our night. Patrick bought me flowers for the first time ever (though he has bought me a plants in between) so I thought I should take a photo to remember. Also, he paid attention at some point because those are my favorite roses, yellow with red tips. So I knew the plan involved dinner but I told him I didn't want to know the restaurant because I prefer suprises (aparently I'm hard to suprise). He did a great job, aparently getting a reccommendation from a colleague. I was told there would be a 30 minute drive but that was all I knew until we approached. We were going to dinner in an old castle in the wine region of Germany. The view would have been amazing as it was unobstructed for miles but it was dark by the time we got there so all you could really see were the lights of Mannheim and Ludwigshafen. I got to try out the night view on my new camera at the very least. The city was too far off but I got a few cool pictures of the caastle and even the moon.
Dinner was also amazing, once we realized local specialties were not so appealing. It's a good thing we didn't go here on Friday becasue there was not a main dish on the menu that didn't include meat. Patrick had a veal steak with mushrooms and I had a beef steak with feta cheese on top - which was delicious. After fighting to finish my meat and leaving half my potato behind, Patrick ordered dessert, homemade ice cream parfait. I would go back again justfor the ice cream. Oh and I forgot to mention, being in the winestrasse (literally wine street) or wine region, we had a local red that would also merit another visit to this castle. I know this is rather boring but I wanted to add something to the photos to convey how much I enjoyed Tuesday night. Here's one last photo to hopefullt help you get an idea of the rustic atmosphere in the castle.

No comments: